July 5, 2010

The First Meal

I've never been one to enjoy cleaning. And with LA's black dust, 1920's era bathrooms that never seem to become shiny, and no signs of a dishwasher in sight, things can get a bit hairy here very quickly.

So Ryan typically handles all the work that requires P90X workouts to scrub the tiles clean and make this 90-year-old establishment beam. I get to shell out my orders to the troops in the kitchen.

So, after a few dinners last week consisting of toast and others of cheese and crackers, he politely asked me if I would start providing meals that require more than a few bites to finish.

I obliged.

After hitting the books, taking notes, and testing my skills, I've finally come up with this week's menu to keep us as far from toast as possible.

Day 1:

Simple Tomato Soup
via my rescuing friend, Caro


2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 or 2 garlic cloves
1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water

Melt butter in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer for 10 minutes or until tomatoes begin to fall apart. (I usually start with 1 cup of stock and add the rest after pureeing, because I like the soup to be thicker.) Puree with an immersion blender (or in a blender or food processor).

















A Wiseman Once Said . . . Definitely better than toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin